25th September 2011
You must excuse me, I’m a little pooped. An awful lot of miles this week down to the south coast and back, combined with loading personal possessions for the trip to what we all prefer to call “recycling” nowadays. Just what did my Father want with 4 electric shavers of the Phillishave type?
13th November 2011
There are two ways to run an engineering project and it applies to even something as relatively simple as re-powering a loco. In approach one, you carry out a task, complete it, then wonder what happens next. In version two, you endeavour to keep all the aspects of the job on the go at the same time, so that you’re planning what to do several periods hence, drawing up bits you need, getting them made or ordered, so that as this job is complete, other than maybe a quick check against the drawings that all is correct*, the next task is at hand and ready to go.
27th November 2011
We should, I suppose, stop being optimistic and try to avoid planning anything significant for the last weekend of the month – and even include Friday. We had a provisional promise – well, OK, that doesn’t make a lot of sense, but he did say “he’d try to…” – that on Wednesday the flat wagon at Scunthorpe, upon which the 03’s casing bits have resided for the last couple of years, would be shunted out from the very far end of the AFRPS’s longest siding and put round the front ready for us to collect and take them back to Sheffield for shotblast.
5th June 2011
We should have been into a thoroughly productive weekend, but somehow, things went a little awry. Up to Friday early afternoon, we were hoping to be at Scunthorpe on Saturday but again, the vital element in the plan was declared not available this weekend, and shortly afterwards Andrew succumbed to a heart-felt plea from his girl-friend to make an additional trek down to see her on Saturday. Before he left, he stripped out the DVLR’s free-issue exhauster for “Pluto” to check rotation and exactly how, if needed, it can be reversed since space within the casings is severely restricted and turning it physically round may not be feasible.
3rd July 2011
As I was saying at the end of last week’s blog, my next stop was Rowsley to investigate the report of Charlie’s alternator “screaming”. It was quiet enough when I started it up, but it had had time to cool so I took it off anyway and sure enough it was very stiff and probably had a bearing problem. So I hunted out a spare from the VBA, swapped pulleys and got it going again, ready for Matlock duties, though for a day or two Rob was using the HST’s 08.
11th December 2011
So, a minute after eight on Monday morning I was back at Scunthorpe and there was the Hiab fitted lorry waiting to collect our bits. The operator was no stranger to preservation work and within ten minutes we were loading the first of the casing parts and within fifty minutes they were on their way to Sheffield, together with some other bits and bobs destined to get through to Rowsley.
8th January 2012
The Briddon clan saw in the New Year at my daughter’s in Darlington, and had a relaxing New Years Day, but by Monday Andrew was itching to get back to activity and we headed over to Scunthorpe. Object of the day primarily was “Beverley”, but while Andrew spent time on minor amendments to the supercharger/dynamo drive we reinstated the previous week I did some dimension checks on the 03 before joining him in the warm of the shed.
July 31st/August 1st 2010
Saturday – Scunthorpe. The 407 was laden down with all the usual kit, plus Andrew’s Cebora MIG welder etc so that he could weld in a replacement section to the radiator filler neck on “Beverley”. I had various little jobs to do, including some bits and bobs on the 03 and replacing a damaged gearbox cylinder air hose on “Bev’” with nylon pipework.
10th October 2010
Monday: I went back over to Peak Rail in the afternoon with the alternator for 14 901. Just as I arrived though, Andrew’s loco “Charlie” was on its way south to Darley Dale with Robin driving, so I grabbed a couple of shots.
24th October 2010
Thursday: Andrew decided it was time to release the news. Whether this was because his birthday was Friday and he was in the mood for excitement, I don’t know, but he instructed me to re-jig the pages on his website (www.andrewbriddonlocos.co.uk – but you knew that really). In fact, the pages had been ready for some time – a news piece and a page on the new acquisition, it just took an hour or so to release these, alter the category header to menu them and update a few other bits.