16th June 2013
Andrew had Monday off again, and after popping in to the Peak Rail office at Matlock, where I provisionally agreed that 14 901 would do a trial passenger run on Wednesday afternoon, we headed in to Rowsley to investigate where this fuel leak was coming from. Between the vee of the two banks, where the fuel pump sits, it was awash in diesel and we deduced that one of the fuel hoses, which I made c.2008, was leaking. But in any event the header tank, which is mounted on a tube above the engine, needs to come off for a crack in the mount to be re-secured. So far, so good.
17th March 2013
Having escaped the previous Saturday, I had been roped in to hiring a 3.5ton dropside for a Monday tour of Humberside. Since no local firm had one available, I returned to my old friends in Sheffield and sure enough, the same Y-reg Transit that I have had twice before, with all its old idiosyncrasies (like a speedo that flicks around 10-15mph while you are standing still) and added a new one or two (like the screenwash no longer worked). The purpose of the trip was to continue unloading the Palvan at Scunthorpe, including 3 radiators and the transmission that had failed to work in D2128.
30th May 2011
This (long) weekend was the Last Weekend of the Month. There is a danger in all this that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy, that in some way we expect that it will be a wash-out, plan less to do for fear of it going wrong, see every minor problem as a major disaster and come out of it with our convictions reinforced.
3rd April 2011
There is an old adage that says “a job takes the time available to do it in”. It can be all too true. I was back at Rowsley anyway on Monday, and Steph followed me over later to resume work in 14 901’s cab, this time rubbing down and giving the old grey steelwork a coat of Magnolia. When I had finished I joined her, and when Andrew had got home from work and changed he came over and we all three carried on until nearly dark, Andrew taking over on Magnolia detail while I was handed the masking tape and after Steph and I had masked off the desk top, I painted it with a fresh layer of Hammerite.