The 03 has a gearchange lever – in its previous incarnation one had 5 gears to choose from – but we need to get this to operate 3 solenoid valves on the side of the transmission, a “low” gear, a “high” gear, and a third that forces it into neutral, or not as the case may be. After numerous attempts at designing wonderful cam arrangements to toggle chunky limit switches, I have returned to a peculiar cam operated controller that Andrew got his hands on a year or so ago. It comprises 3 small limit switches in an alloy enclosure with a typically germanic part number cast on. With a bit of inspiration it should do the job with a new laser-cut cam, but we will have to organise an external detent. Put like this it sounds simple, but took quite some time and error before I got a cam design that seems to operate each switch at the appropriate moment.
So anyway, Andrew arrived home Sunday morning, we loaded up the van and headed to Scunthorpe. I had picked up bearings for the fan assembly but these refused to fit the ‘tube (my machinist had not turned them recess to the right tolerance), so Andrew took it in and opened it up with a mounted stone, while I fitted the 4 brackets to hold the fan cowl to the radiator, marked the cowl and drilled holes in more or less the right places. When he had finished, I adjusted the rad mounting at one side with a file and voila! – first sight of the fan cowl and fan drive assembly together.
Fan cowl and fan drive assembly.
For now they have been taken off again for painting, but very soon we must order the fan (I am chickening out and reducing it to 790 diameter), for the shaft, pulleys, etc, are all ready to fit , well nearly, just a few bits around the jockey pulley adjustment to complete.
Further down the loco Andrew threaded up the filler pipe for the oil reservoir, and added the outlet connection for the feed to the charge pumps. Up in the cab we fitted the lower half of the instrument panel, which carries most of the large gauges and I added the mounting bracket for the vac brake valve and drilled out the holes ready for the dummy handle brackets.
Lower half of the panel
At each side of the cab, above the desk will be sighted two enclosures which carry the horn valve (2 position joystick) and train brake release button. The first of these was at last mounted and the rest should follow next week. I had also collected the machined brake disc during the week, and couldn’t resist trying it – so here’s a composite view of the gearbox as it was (pictured last year) and with the disc located there,. though the prop-shaft will obscure most of it and accounts for all the additional holes. Finally, after we had agreed the location of the battery master switch, I got to drill the cab to suit, and in a sense this also determined the route of the cable tray that will carry the wires forward to the engine. Andrew decided, as we packed up at half-past six, that they day had been very productive. If I can get the rest of the control panel finished during the week, that will start to make the cab end of the loco take on an altogether more serious appearance.